Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Question about bubbles in urine. No symptoms

Question about bubbles in...

Question about bubbles in urine

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Are you a bot?

3/1/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

are you male or female?

bubbles in the urine are not very reliable because you can urinate standing up or sitting down.

I am a male.

what is your question?

Brief history.
2 years ago I went into the hospital to detox from alcohol.
Levels were pretty bad at that time.
They gave me meds to curb the side effects.
I did not drink for about two months after that. I started drinking again but not hard alcohol. Just beer. maybe one or two several times a week. continued that for awhile...stopped for awhile...continued....completly stopped all consumption about 5 months ago. Except for a beer or two only on holidays with friends, no drunk, maybe a slight buzz I max myself at 2 drinks right around 5% or so.About 5 weeks ago I started getting bubbles in urine.
Went to the doc to get a urine test. All negative except for bacteria(Im not currently sexual active). She gave me sulphur something or other to kill the infection. It worked. Still bubbles.
Just got a CMP blood test done. All within normal ranges. GRF was > 60.Have not had a follow up yet. Im thinking however shes going to tell me everything is normal and send me packing.
Sometimes bubbles are not there maybe once a day. The rest of the day, bubbles. I have no pains, dark or light stool, no dark urine, no clear urine, always a slight yellow to dark yellow.
I have some dry skin on my upper lip, especially after I shave. Alot of acne on my shoulders.
Other than that extra info theres nothing that I know of wrong with me.
oh and im 35, 190#, at 5'10.
Blood pressure is always in the norm or low norm.

bubbles in the urine is not a sign of urine infection.

clear urine is good

cloudy urine or bloody urine can be a sign of urinary tract infection.

I didnt know that at the time. I do now.
So I told you everything that has been going on up till now. Anything you can think of that would cause this?

urinating from standing can cause more bubbles than urinating from seated.

it is not a reliable sign to tell us if you have a urine infection or not.

The bubbles persist.
I know its not an infection.
If you read my longer post you would have seen that I tested positive for bacterial infection in my urine on the first doctors visit. She then presecribed me antibiotics to get rid of that. I then went on to tell you I got a CMP done next. That showed levels all in the norm except a lower AST it was at a 9. everything else was fine.Im worried about my liver and kidneys.

I know you are worried

but bubbles in the urine doesn't point to problems with your liver and kidneys.

What does it point too?
I was under the assumption that bubbles are typically caused by A: Fistula B: whats mixed in the water hard water soft water ect and air mixing with the splash that mixes with protien that causes bubbles or C: Proteinuria.
Now, its not just the at home toilet, its at work, just about every city I go to...so I think I can rule that out.
The fact that I have had a drinking problem 2 years ago(195 proof for about a week), and that hurt me a little, but the CMP test as of now, came back to everything at least for now ,being in decent norms
Couple with the fact that the dr at that time in the stay at the hospital said I did have some fatty liver issues...I only assumed it was liver or kidneys.What else could it be?

you are assuming too much

being overweight, drinking alcohol regularly, eating carbs regularly can cause weigh gain and fatty liver issues. this doesn't mean you have liver damage.

a week of drinking heavily 2 years ago will not cause long term kidney or liver damage.

As of 5 weeks ago my diet has changed.
70% vegetables, 15% protein, 10 % carbs. Cut out all sodas. Havent touch a drink in since new years.
I have lost about 10 pounds in the course of 5 weeks. I am aiming for 180pounds. I was at 200 when I started this.I just messaged my doctor to ask if she could give me a more comprehensive Thyroid test other than the standard TSH, since my father has hoshi, my sister has hoshi, my grandmother I think has hoshi, my mother has standard hypothyroid.
I bring that up because I have read there is a correlation with thyroid problems with kidney and UTI problems, which also might cause the bubbles?All in all I know you cannot diagnose me over the internet. So what would you test for to figure out this bubbles problem?

bubbles in the toilet from your urine is not a medical problem.

ok thanks.

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician