Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am wondering about the effect of taking SSKI and if it can…

I am wondering about...

I am wondering about the effect of taking SSKI and if it can make you smell like alcohol when you haven't been drinking

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Supersaturated Potassium Iodide - I am taking it for erythema nodosum from a positive biopsy that is idiopathic. All my rest results came back negative (blood work etc)

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes. I just want to know if it is common to smell like you have consumed alcohol when you have not (alkynes after digestion). The peer reviewed literature indicates yes but I need it in layman's terms.

2/27/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Taking SKI can give you a metallic taste in the mouth and also cause acid reflux as well as stomach upsets and gastritis which can alter the smell of your breath. It can come out in various smells, some include metallic breath, smell of vinegar etc. I have never heard or seen a report that says it can make your breath smell like alcohol but sometimes, the smells come out differently and can be perceived as such.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor