Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 18 yr old daughter went to urgent care on 02/17/18 after…

My 18 yr old...

My 18 yr old daughter went to urgent care on 02/17/18 after she caught a bad cold and she began to have severe ear pain. After seeing the clinician she was prescribed Amoxicillin Clavulanate Potassium Tablets. Yesterday she broke out in hives on her entire body. She has been taking benedryl as well as using cortizone cream but nothing is helping. She has taken Amoxicillin in the past but not with the Clavulanate Potassium. Could this be an allergic reaction to that? She only has 4 pills left. Should she stop taking her medication?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

None

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Healthy 18 yr old. Only get the occasional migraine.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/26/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is cold settled down?

only slight cough remains

Yes, it is most likely an allergic reaction to one of the constituents of the antibiotics. If she took it for 3 days an cold settled down then she can stop taking it and continue benadryl meanwhile till hives get better.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Thank you

My pleasure.

Please do not forget to leave 5 stars.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor