Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a head cold 3 weeks ago, started to go away and came…

I had a head...

I had a head cold 3 weeks ago, started to go away and came back the following week. After getting home from a work trip I played down and both my ears plugged. I ended up at the hospital a couple days later and they put me in antibiotics and ear drops, did this for a week with no change then went a saw a specialist put me on nosesprayand heavier dose of antibiotics. The specialist said my skin was very irritated and swollen causing this issue. What would cause this skin irritation to swell the skin and close both ear ducts and what can I do to help bring the swelling down? The constant hollow sound with noises and ringing is driving me nuts

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

No, this just came up out of the blue after a head cold 2.5 weeks ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

2/26/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

most cold infections clogging up the ears really don't need antibiotic ear drops. this is only used if you have summer's ear fluid in your ear which gets infected in the ear canal.

eat drops will cause a lot of moisture in the ear canal and irritate the skin there if there is no infection in the ear canal.

medications like sudafed, benadryl are used to help clear up your clogged sinuses and ears during a cold.

The cold and congestion have passed about a week now, it's the swollen skin in the ears causing this blockage what can I take or do to reduce this swelling

you need to stop the ear drops.

you should talk to your doctor about a course of steroids like prednisone which is good at decreasing swelling.

I've stopped the drops, I have Prednisone so I'll give that a shot. Thank you

make sure you take the prednisone with food in your stomach and taper off of it when you have to stop it.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Will do, Thank you

you are welcome

do you see the ratings area?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician