Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A baby 10 months old,fell down on the hard floor on his

Hi,a baby 10 months...

Hi,a baby 10 months old,fell down on the hard floor on his knees from the kitchen working surface and,can that cause 1 femoral fractures and 1 tibial fracture on the right leg,and 1 tibial fracture on the left leg?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

A slightly swelling on the right leg

Please find the X-ray images,thank you,
2/25/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Thanks for your question.

It is theoretically possible for a fall from a kitchen working surface to a hard floor to cause these injuries in a 10 month old child.

At 10 months of age, bones of a child are not very strong and even playing activities can cause fractures.

Having said that multiple fractures in a child who is below walking age would always raise suspicion of child abuse and other factors need to be taken into account including any previous injuries, injuries to any other part of the body and suspicious history.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Do take a moment to honor my work and time by rating my answer, hopefully, 5 stars.

Dear Dr.Sawhney,in your opinion,is it possible that this accident account for these 3 fractures at the same time?The doctors in UK are very funny,they say this accident can account for these injuries,but somewhat unusual account for 3 fractures at the same time.
It is uncommon to have simultaneous 3 fractures with this type of injury. Therefore the suspicion.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor