Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband was taken by ambulance from work to Fort Mcmurray…

My husband was taken...

My husband was taken by ambulance from work to Fort Mcmurray hospital on Jan 24th with chest pain. He was assessed at ER and sent home after a few hours. The following Monday he had a stress test done. The dr to did the stress test felt that my husband should be sent to Edmonton for further tests. That was on Jan. 29th. We are still waiting for an appt to go to Edmonton. In the meantime, my husband is using the patch to quite smoking, taking meds for blood pressure, high cholesterol and a low dose aspirin. He’s experiencing lost of heart burn, gas pain and shortness of breath but no chest pain like before.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?

He was dizzy the day before chest pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He uses a sleeppap machine for sleep apnea

2/21/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Did the doctor say what was seen on the stress test?

Is he taking any medicine for the heartburn and gas pain?

My husband is on short term disability so the family dr filled forms for it. On the form is says acute coronary syndrome. My husband is taking over the counter remedies for heart burn. I’m worried that the heart burn is heart related. He gets very short of breath and chest tightness just walking outside or climbing stairs

Which over the counter remedies is he taking?

My question in all of this is why it’s taking so long to get an appt. Do they think he’s not seriously ill? He not allowed back to work without clearance. He’s due back in a week. Can he return without any tests performed
He’s taken a lot of tums, Zantac and even my perscription for Lozac

There are many possible reasons why it is taking so long. But the reason that I ask for the specific findings on the stress test is to be able to comment upon the level of severity and whether there is an issue with a delay.

Can you acquire and attach the report from the stress test?

I don’t have it. I don’t know how to get that? Everyone is being very vague and not answering our questions.
I understand that it takes time but a whole month! I want my husband to go back to ER, maybe things will get moving faster if they know he’s still having discomfort

There are varying degrees of abnormalities that can be present on a stress test. Some are more significant and warrant an urgent evaluation. Some are minor and a less urgent evaluation would be OK.

If you cannot get a copy of the stress test report, then there are a couple options. He can be seen by his primary care physician, who can get a copy of the stress test, and the primary care physician can advocate on his behalf if an urgent evaluation is warranted. It also would be an option to return to the ER, as they also can access the stress test report. They can determine whether something needs to be done immediately.

You also can ask for a copy of the report from the hospital and I would be glad to review it.

Thank you for your help. I just have to convince my husband to go back.

You are very welcome.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor