Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had pneumonia and pleurisy several times over the…

I have had pneumonia...

I have had pneumonia and pleurisy several times over the past 2 years. I am currently recovering from the flu and 2 secondary infections. I have begun to have sharp shutting pains in my left breast. Today my back in sunken in on the left side behind the lung. I’ve been dizzy, no appetite, pain/discomfort. I’ve lost faith in my physican. Please help!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

A few days. Today being the worst. It is not a constant pain. I just try to stop breathing and let it pass.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hyperthyroidism which is not treated by medication as I am allergic to it.

2/20/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

I would want you to go get checked out by your doctor.

They would likely listen to your lungs and determine if you needed further testing, like a chest xray.

They would want to make sure you have had treatment of your pneumonia, and that this is not a sign of another infection. In addition, they would want to rule out other issues that can cause sharp pains in the chest, like pulmonary embolism (rare, but would need to be ruled out).

Because it has been getting worse over the past few days, please get it checked out.

My pneumonia has been in the past and I have not currently been diagnosed last week with it. I was diagnosed with the flu and a “bronchial” infection. Could I still possibly have pneumonia?

You could still have pneumonia, and this may have developed in the past few days. It is certainly not unheard of people to have the flu -- and then develop pneumonia as well.

Because your symptoms are worsening, I would get it checked out. Especially since you've had pneumonia in the past -- you are at higher risk.

One last question, I am still on Cefdinir 300 MG twice daily with 2 days left. My symptoms were getting better but have started to revert and worsen. Thank you sir.
I would continue with the antibiotics and discuss with your doctor — symptoms worsening being the key part. Your body is telling you something is not right.
Thank you sir. I agree on my body and needed to hear it from a professional. I appreciate your service and I pray you have a wonderful evening.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon