Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been on klonopin for 4 months now and 1 mg per day.

Hi, I've been on klonopin...
Hi, I've been on klonopin for 4 months now and 1 mg per day. I've currently run out and am experiencing withdrawal symptoms, mainly panic attack over having a seizure..This is my 3rd day off and my doctor can't get me in until Wednesday. Basically I'm asking how this will play out? Is it all on my head?
2/19/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, the withdrawal symptoms are to be expected after Klonopin is suddenly stopped HOWEVER the good news is that seizures are UNLIKELY to occur if you have been using Klonopin for just 4 months. Usually, seizures occur in individuals who have been using the drug for more than a year or longer. After 4 months, the brain neurons have not adapted so much that the sudden stopping of Klonopin would lead to seizures. This is why I think seizures are less likely to occur in your case.

Now as to what can be done right now, you can start using OTC antihistamines specifically Benadryl or doxylamine which can help counter some of the symptoms of withdrawal. This means that it can help in reducing the incidence of panic attacks and also help with any insomnia that you may have. At the same time, OTC valerian root can be started on a temporary basis, the reason for starting this would be because it has a chemical structure which resembles benzodiazepines. This would also help in reducing the withdrawal symptoms.

As far as how this will play out, usually the withdrawal symptoms in situations like yours don't last for more than a week or two weeks at most HOWEVER their severity can be reduced with the help of the above measures. It can also help to busy yourself in other activities like exercising etc which can help as well. Studies have shown patients who tend to exercise more also experience fewer withdrawal symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Hey, thanks so much for the quick response! It should definitely ease my symptoms just knowing that, just not a fun thing to go through. I currently don't have any benydral but I should be okay for the night. I have unisom for sleep but I'm afraid it might heighten my symptoms

Unisom can help and it should heighten your symptoms. However if you can do without it then you can skip using it for now.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Dr. Muneeb Ali
I think that just about covers it. I have other symptoms but they are all familiar with my anxiety. Thanks doc, I'll give you 5 stars

You are welcome, best of luck!