Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

There is a painful spot about 2 inches lower down from my…

There is a painful...

There is a painful spot about 2 inches lower down from my sternum. It seems to hurt worse when I cough. I have had typical acid reflux and gas pains for a few months now. Is this spot related to acid reflux or something more serious?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

At the moment no. Cough is lingering from a cold I had a week ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Went to er in Dec ekg and blood were negative for HA

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2018
doctor_charles

Hi there,
I am Dr. Charles- it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

Visited with my gp this week and ekg was normal as well. Had cbc done back in dec. And everything was within normal range.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having a painful spot about 2 inches lower down from sternum is most likely due to a

condition called gastritis.It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.And due to this inflammation you are having pain below sternum. This area is called epigastrium.

This pain is caused by a various causes like physical stresses, social habits, chemicals, and infections,excessive use of Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Yes,your pain is related t your acid reflux. There is nothing serious or dangerous here.

Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Thank you

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

I have taken motrin a couple (2) times a day for tension headaches. I have been very paranoid about AAA. Is that an unreasonable worry?
Lastly, why does that painfull spot seem sharper and more acute when I cough?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying back.

I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Please do not worry about abdominal aortic aneurysm(AAA).

Your symptoms are characteristic for gastric reflux.

Motrin contains Ibuprofen that is a medication in the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug category. These medications very commonly cause gastric reflux/gastritis as the side effect.

Because there is inflammation in stomach and lower part of esophagus -when you cough,due to increased intra-abdominal pressure the area gets hurt.

Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day. This will help you greatly.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

I am happy to help you further if you have any question.

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

Thank you. I do wonder if I have an ulcer or two. My wife keeps telling me it's acid reflux and/or gas trapped in painful places.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,it may be possible that you might have ulcer(s) in stomach.

You need following tests:

-Endoscopy,gastroscopy or EGD,
-Barium meal studies & Barium follow through(BFT)
-H.Pylori testing

So I advise you to consult your gastro doctor regarding these tests & then exact treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

Thank you very much. Last question, promise. Given my exsiting symptoms, if I feel pulsating in the belly button area, could it be related? Happened last night a little so that's what set me down the AAA path.

Dear customer

If you’re moderately skinny ,it is possible that you may feel pulsating in the belly button area. This is absolutely normal.

Another possibility is of anxiety/stress that makes you feel pulse in abdomen.

This is not a symptom of AAA, so please do not worry about this.

Consult your gastro doctor for the tests described above & hence its treatment accordingly.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

No, I am over weight at 5-9 242.

Okay,

Then this can be due to anxiety. Anxiety/stress is a common cause where you feel pulse in upper abdomen.

I advise you to consult your gastro doctor regarding these tests & then exact treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Charles

doctor_charles
My GP has recommended I get a abd and pelvis CT scan with contrast because shes concerned but without insurance, I can't afford to have this done.