Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on 50mg twice daily topiramate to prevent migraines. I…

I'm on 50mg twice daily...
I'm on 50mg twice daily topiramate to prevent migraines. I been on this medication for 4 weeks. I also smoke marijuana for my headaches is this okay ? I also take iron and vitamin c and fish oil daily. And am I allowed to drink alcohol as well. I am 24 year old male. Thank you.
2/18/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

does the marijuana help you with your headaches. what state are you in?

have you told your doctors you are using marijuana medically?

alcohol can cause dehydration and can often be a trigger in many patients for migraine headaches

I feel like the marijuana helps and my doctor knows and says it's okay but does not recommend it because he is not allowed to. Because I live in Texas it's not legal here. I don't smoke much though. Only once a day or every other day. But it's okay? to smoke marijuana and drink alcohol on topiramate? And my vitamins lol ?
I drink lots of water
The medicine has helped a lot with my headaches I been on it for almost a month now

yes, it is ok if it helps your headaches. work on drinking more water. does the marijuana help more than the topiramate?

it is ok to drink some alcohol, but the more alcohol you drink, the more dehydrated you could get and this could trigger a migraine. your vitamins are fine to take.

I don't like to drink and don't drink very often at all. it does trigger a headache. I was just wondering if it is okay to have acouple of beers while I'm taking topiramate if I'm with friends every once in awhile. I was online looking and some ppl said yes and some said no. So I had to ask a doctor on here. I'm just making sure with my dose of 50mg of topiramate twice daily and the fish oil and vitamins I'm on. it's safe to smoke marijuana occasionally and to drink a beer if I wanted too which I don't drink very often anyways. And no the topiramate I think is helping the best ever since I been on it the headaches have definitely been a lot better than just when I was just on nothing and smoking marijuana
I been having these headaches for a year now
They came out of nowhere doctor
I've had multiple Ct scans I even had 2 sinus surgeries because they thought that would correct the headaches because I had a blocked right maxmillary sinus
Headaches got so bad a month and half ago i was scared I had something serious like an amoeba or something I had a contrast MRI done and once again perfectly normal
What do you thing Dr. David any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated? Thanks for taking time to talk to me as well man!
It's been hard 2017 for me I been such a healthy guy my whole life and I still am it's just these damn headaches

it is ok to have a few beers. but if you start to notice worse headaches, I would stop. and drinking some water between beers can help keep you hydrated.

you may benefit from skin allergy testing. some foods and preservatives can trigger migraines

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician