Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes constant noise in one ear? Had fluid on ear

What causes constant noise...

What causes constant noise in one ear?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

Had fluid on ear about a month ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not related to ears

2/18/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Your symptom of feeling constant noise in the ear is also called as tinnitus.

Tinnitus (feeling of abnormal sounds or noises in the ear) has myriad causes and such causes can be categorized broadly as below;

1) Ear causes

2) Neurological causes

3) Non-Ear/Non-neurological causes etc

1) In the Ear related causes the following are some possibilities;

Inner ear infections

Meniere disease

Labyrinthitis

Cochlear injuries/inflammations

Excessive noise or sound exposure induced

8th nerve injuries/irritations in the ear etc

2) In the neurological related causes - there are various structural related changes in the brain can cause this type of tinnitus

3) In the Non-ear/Non-neurological causes category there are myriad possibilities including, medication side effects, poorly controlled BP (blood pressure), medical conditions like thyroid diseases, vitamin deficiencies, toxin exposure/heavy metal toxicity, excessive stress/anxiety/psychogenic/functional etc that can cause tinnitus.

Please see I am not telling all these above are applicable in your case, for example excessive stress/anxiety/psychogenic/functional etc may not be applicable at all in your case (if you do not suffer from these above condition) – I am just providing you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice with the type of symptom you have been having in the form of constant tinnitus in one ear.

If not already done please try to see a Neurologist (and sometimes seeing an ear Dr may be necessary too) and they will examine you thoroughly including examination of the nervous system & ear examination and later they will also arrange with certain relevant investigations like an MRI or CT scan of the head & the ear, audiometric studies, and once a final diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately.

Coming to the management of tinnitus, first of all please see if the cause for this tinnitus has not been identified so far - then a thorough examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant investigations can help in ascertaining the precise cause for this tinnitus and then treated accordingly (as mentioned earlier above). The investigations may include for example Audiometric studies, MRI scan or CAT scan of the brain and ear regions, and any additional investigations as necessary.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following treatments to help with getting relief from the tinnitus;

A) Medication treatment options;

1) OTC (Over the counter) Non-prescription medication options such as the following;

Melatonin

Ginkgo biloba

Niacin etc

2) Prescription medication options such as the following;

SSRI agents such as Paroxetine or Sertraline

TCA agents such as Nortriptyline or Amitriptyline

Benzodiazepines such as Alprazolam or Clonazepam

Cyclobenzaprine

Acamposate etc

3) Certain medications that are not approved by FDA (Food & Drugs administration), but have been found to be helpful for tinnitus such as the following;

Eperisone

Betahistine

Flunarizine etc

B) Certain non-medication treatment options such as the following;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)

rTMS (Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation)

Biofeedback

Acupuncture etc

The above are the various medication & non-medication treatment options to consider, but please see not all these above mentioned treatments may be required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with several treatments that are available for helping with your health condition of tinnitus and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

C) If the above conservative non-surgical therapeutic interventions do not help then there are certain surgical treatment options or special procedures too that are available such as the following;

Chemical labyrinthectomy with aminoglycoside antibiotic injection

Endolymphatic shunt

Resection of Cochlear or auditory nerve

Labyrinthectomy

Stapedectomy

Tympanosympathectomy etc

However majority of the patients with tinnitus do not require any surgeries, instead one or more of the above mentioned non-surgical treatments (conservative treatments) are sufficient.

D) In addition to the above, you may also consider trying certain over the counter/non-prescription nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Sulbutiamine form – which has better penetration to the brain than the other forms)

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the tinnitus.

To summarize once again;

1) There are several different causes for tinnitus (hearing abnormal noise or sound in the ear) as mentioned earlier above (neurological causes, ear causes, non-neurological and non-ear causes etc)

2) A thorough clinical examination followed by certain relevant investigations as mentioned earlier above can help in identifying the precise cause for this tinnitus and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the treatments mentioned earlier above and these can help in providing relief from this type of tinnitus.

4) And very importantly, please see this type of health issue can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to see a Neurologist asap (and sometimes seeing an ear Dr too may be necessary – if neurological and other causes are ruled out) and try to undergo a thorough neurological & ear related clinical examination & investigations as discussed earlier above which will help you with resolving the annoying and bothersome constant tinnitus (noise in the ear) you have been unfortunately suffering from.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. Please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)