Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Are there any anti-platelet meds that have less of a

bleeding risk than Plavix? I...
Are there any anti-platelet meds that have less of a bleeding risk than Plavix? I am allergic to aspirin.
2/17/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

why do you need to thin your blood?

you can take warfarin or coumadin.

I am 28. I have a narrowed artery after an arterial dissection and stroke. I tried Coumadin but had terrible bleeding problems despite maintaining my INR on the lower end a therapeutic. I am having the same problems on Plavix - to the point of needing blood transfusions and having multiple hospitalizations. (looking at about one a month since initiating of the medications).

have you consulted with a hematology doctor and gotten blood testing to check for clotting disorder and bleeding disorders? you are quite young.

I have. The only answer I get is that I have to stay on some sort of anticoagulation or antiplatelet. It is not going well. Someone told me that I could take a lot of garlic or Omega 3, but I have no idea how much is" a lot"

garlic and omega 3 may not be enough.

what happens when you take aspirin? have you had skin testing to confirm your allergy to aspirin?

are you allergic to ibuprofen?

how about ticagrelor (Brilinta), dabigatran (Pradaxa), apixaban (Eliquis), or rivaroxaban (Xarelto)

I have not had testing other than every single time I take it is whatever form )pain aspirin or in headache medication) I blister all over my body. Every, Single. Time. They have considered other options, but decided against them saying that the risk for bleeding wasn't any less. I suppose that I could request a switch just to try another one. I would rather stop them all together, but I guess it is better than a CVA. Which one do you think would be best to try. Is there a reason that I should take an anti platelet versus an anticoagulant? Or are the essentially the same?

anti platelet agents are a bit milder and may not cause as much bruising. you can ask your doctor to see if you can try ibuprofen 200mg a day with food in your stomach and see if that is enough to thin your blood and not cause bleeding.

Would an allergy to naproxen exclude this?

ibuprofen is different from naproxen sodium

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Ok thanks!