Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am in Mexico and have had some lab test done I don’t speak…

I am in Mexico and...
I am in Mexico and have had some lab test done I don’t speak or read Spanish can anyone help with these lab results?
2
3
2/17/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually, there are some abnormalities in these lab results, ill highlight the important ones first,

1) Cholesterol - your cholesterol is MARKEDLY raised at 365, the normal should be under 200 and yours is way above the normal ideal range. If the test was done in a fasting state then this is a significant result and requires treatment

2) triglycerides - Again this is MARKEDLY raised at 948, the normal should be under 150 and yours is WAY above the normal range. This is significant regardless of whether or not you were fasting at the time of the test or not. This indicates that you have hypertriglyceridemia and NEED treatment with medications. I think a combination of a statin like rosuvastatin along with a drug like fenofibrate should be started in your case.

3) Glucose - this is again high and if this was done in a fasting state then it can indicate that you have pre-diabetes and would need dietary management to control the glucose. if it was not done in a fasting state then it is an insignificant rise.

4) Urine test - this shows that there are WBCs in your urine in the amount of 25, usually, they are 5-10. This can indicate that you may have a minor urinary tract infection which may need to be treated however at the same time, the urine does not show any other signs of an infection. It would be best that the urine test is repeated especially if you have no symptoms like burning etc.

5) CBC - the complete blood picture shows some abnormalities, the hemoglobin and RBC count is low which indicates that you have mild anemia. The MCV is high whereas the MCH is also high, these indicate that the red blood cells are larger in size. This usually indicates vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency. But in light of your high triglyceride and cholesterol levels, I think an under-functioning thyroid gland may be present. This is known as hypothyroidism which can cause all of these changes in the tests. A Thyroid function test would be diagnostic here.

Additionally, the WBC count is slightly above normal which can occur in hypothyroidism and also with minor viral infections, the fact that the monocytes are raised indicates that you may have a minor viral infection. Additionally, it is possible that you have an autoimmune disorder which can lead to the thyroid issue and the rise in White blood cells and the monocytes as well.

In short, you have some abnormalities in your lab tests and I would recommend that you DO consult a local doctor as soon as possible so you can get started on treatment.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Any concerns with the liver functions
Most of them are normal except for one which is the delta bilirubin but that is not very significant.
Is there concern with infection?
as I said the urine has some white blood cells and the white blood cell count in your blood is also raised, both of which can indicate an infection. This is why I advised repeating the urine analysis as well as a culture and a complete clinical examination to determine if there is another site if infection.
I am currently getting a cat scan is that going to be helpful
A CT scan of which region of the body?
My Dr in Mexico want to get me in the operating room and for laparotomy and that concerns me???
A CT scan of the abdomen
Let me be more clear he’s not my Dr he’s a dr I seen once
Hello?
Sorry I had to gi see a patient in the ICU, anyway a CT scan of the abdomen is necessary to determine if the abdomen is the source of your infection. Secondly it would also show whether an actual laprotomy is needed or not.
Dr. Muneeb Ali