Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have anxiety, depression, and ADHD and am prescribed

Hi!So, I have anxiety, depression...
Hi!So, I have anxiety, depression, and ADHD and am prescribed ritalin and lexapro, but I frequently smoke weed to help relieve my anxiety. The combination of ritalin and marijuana seemed to really help me focus and relieve any side effects of anxiety from the ritalin, which really shocked me. I tried to read more into this combination, but since there is not much information about this I wanted to see if you would have any information to help. I am confused, since this feels like it really is working for me, as my work has been more effective and my anxiety has decreased drastically, along with my depressive symptoms. I understand this might not be a safe combo, but it has made me feel like I can finally overcome or improve my ADHD, anxiety, and depression.
I also want to add that I know my work has improved, since it reflects in my grades. I only take 5-10mg of prescribed Ritalin a day, but use to smoke at night to help relieve anxiety and help me sleep, but I accidentally smoked before finishing my work one night and this led to me working and studying for the entire night, which is very unexpected of me. If you have any questions that may help answer my question, please feel free to ask! I feel like this combination has also helped improve my depression, since I am definately more motivated in my work and happier because I do not feel as anxious, so I no longer see my future and life with a pessimistic and hopeless lense, which is something I never imagined happening.
Answered in 2 days by:
2/18/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Victoria, do you still need help?

i do
I am very confused, since there is not much available online about the combination of these medications, but it feels like it is working well. I hope you can help provide some clarification.

Yes, there won't be many studies on this because marijuana is still considered an illicit drug in most places

Marijuana is a psychotropic substance just like many other medicines.

So it will interact with your other drugs much like lexapro and ritalin will interact

the problem with marijuana is that

1)there are not many studies or experience

2)it doesn't come in fixed doses

3)quality and potency are not as predictable

So while it may be helping you, you are taking somewhat of a risk in using it on your own in combination with prescription drugs

is this helpful?

I understand that, but my main question is would it be possible to be medically prescribed ritalin and marijuana for my issues?
I want to bring this up with my real psychiatrist, but I am away at school and feel that he might not be able to do much at the moment. I know marijuana still remains an illicit drug in some places, but Massachusetts allows for recreational and medical, so if you have any more suggestions, please let me know.

oh you want a script here?

No, not necessarily here, but for the future. I am wondering if doctors would ever be opened to prescribing both ritalin and marijuana.

It's illegal for me to do that online

one can't give controlled substances online

but I also highly doubt a local doc would either

No, I understand you cannot prescribe. I am not asking you too. I am just wondering if medical marijuana is ever prescribed with other medications for ADHD and depression.

Oh ok. I understand

On rare occasion it is but not often

is this helpful?

sorry for the confusion.

No problem :)

I'm happy to help in any way I can

I appreciate your candor and kindness

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thank you for your help! I am only wondering because I have been misdiagnosed and prescribed unnecessary medications in the past, which is why I feel so strongly about this combination. I appreciate your help!

you're welcome :)

good luck to you

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor