Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m needing to talk to a doctor or midwife about morning…

I’m needing to talk...

I’m needing to talk to a doctor or midwife about morning sickness . My first pregnancy.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I’m only early stages but yes I have my results blood tests and my 6 week scan!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have ibs if that goes forward with morning sickness

2/15/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

How can I help you today?

Hello yes, this my first pregnancy. I have had not greatest with morning sickness and I’m on the edge thinking do I need hospital or am
I scared?

Congratulations!

Are you able to keep any food or water down?
What was the first day of your last period?

I threw up yesterday then tried eat some dinner was super hard and then in bed feeling really crap and had some fluids.... had an anti nasuea tablet and had to move bed out from my partner sleep on my own don’t know why, then 6.00 am I woke up today I’m having some vivid and very full on dreams! I woke up at 6.3O am I threw up again ! I have taken meds and nothing atm seen be working for me. I am 7.5 weeks pregnant !! I’m exhausted. I’m on the verge go to the hospital nees advice
I need advice
I do sometimes get cramps in my tummy to but no bleeding!

The first trimester can be so, so rough. I really think it's the hardest part of pregnancy.

If you're totally unable to keep anything down despite taking anti-nausea meds it might be a good idea to go to hospital and let them check labs and give you fluids to make sure all is well.

You don’t need to throw up heaps n heaps to think getting hospital to check?
I just don’t understand throwing up at 6.30 am hardly anything in my belly from last night episode & then throwing up acid.
What would you recommend ?

If you can't keep anything down at all and aren't eating anything, you won't have anything to throw up.

Nothing sounds like you're in danger, but letting them check some bloodwork on you isn't a bad idea.

The other option is to call your doc and see if they can try some alternative anti-nausea meds and order bloodwork as an outpatient (without going to hospital).

I struggle drinking water I do have ginger tea, and cordial and I’ll have a hydralyte icy pole! I just never felt so sick in my life being first pregnancy I don’t know what to expect !

It can be just awful! I speak from both professional and personal experience.

Also, this year is REALLY bad for flu, so if you're feeling ill at all it's not a bad idea to let your doc check you out.

I had a virus early stages I still have a cough ! Cough doesn’t help me one bit

If you're worried, go in and at least get some bloodwork and a swab. It is most likely all going to be chalked up to morning sickness but it doesn't hurt to be evaluated especially when you're pregnant.

Thank you I rang my doc in the hospital ! I’ll get call back from them soon

Just checking in to see how you are doing today.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you and I wish you all the best.

Thank you !! I am! My doctor at the hospital helped me too! So thank u again

You are most welcome. I hope you feel better.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above so I can be compensated by the company. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD