Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My blood pressure varies during the day. This morning it was…

My blood pressure varies during...
My blood pressure varies during the day. This morning it was 160/100. I am over 60 and have read 160/100 can be considered normal, except in the USA as they prefer to support the drug companies.
Is 160/100 normal for my age.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Agreed this is just for education and information

This is slightly high even for your age.

Ideal would be 140/90. And even 150/95 would be acceptable and medicine may not be needed.

Following non medical measures would be helpful:

a) Patients with the hypertension do need to restrict table salt which is considered as a prime regulator of the blood pressure. It is advised to reduce sodium intake to no more than 2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride per day. It is also advised that adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d), helps in reducing the blood pressure.

b) Following dietary and nutrition measure are strongly recommended to bring down the blood pressure;

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products may lower blood pressure by 10-16 mm Hg.
Oral potassium supplement may lower both systolic and diastolic pressure. Calcium and magnesium supplements, too, decrease the in blood pressure.
Low alcohol consumption lowers the blood pressure.
Stop smoking, if you do and reducing intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol benefits tremendously in overall cardiovascular health.
Following reduce and regulate the blood pressure:

1) Garlic

2) Fish oil

3) Herb Hawthorn

4) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The dietary and other helpful measures for high blood pressure are;

1) weight loss,

2) sodium reduction,

3) stress management,

4) nutritional supplement interventions of calcium, magnesium, potassium and fish oil.

5) light physical exercise like walking.

6) yoga

7) meditation

8) breathing exercises

9) relaxation exercises

10) stop if you; smoke, drink only in moderation

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.