Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can youtell me is there such a thing as having a chemical…

Customer Question
Hi can youtell me...

Hi can youtell me is there such a thing as having a chemical imbalnce in the brain

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have seen a dr and i just started taking supplements and exercing bujt just read on internet that the idea of a chemical imbaknce is a myth

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I saw the lab reportd and i know whAT MY LEVELS SAID

Submitted: 15 days ago.Category: Medical
2/7/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 14 days ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health questions.

I see you have inquired about the subject of possibility of having a chemical imbalance in the brain. As a Neurologist I am very familiar with this type of health subject and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Yes, chemical imbalance in the brain certainly can occur, and it is well known to mainstream allopathic clinical practice too

In fact brain related conditions such as depression, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, Parkinson disease, Huntington disease etc are all related secondary to imbalance of one or other chemicals in the brain

These chemicals are also called as neurotransmitters or neurochemicals and these chemicals mediate innumerable number of brain related functions including helping brain cells to generate nerve impulses, communicate with other brain and spinal cord cells, and also communicate with the body through peripheral & cranial nerves, and imbalance of these chemicals - either increase or decrease in the amount of available these neurotransmitters can cause various forms of psychiatric and neurological disorders as mentioned above.

So the issue of chemical imbalance occurring in the brain certainly exists and it has been proved too.

In the allopathic practice the chemical imbalance is usually diagnosed with the use of certain special brain scans such as PET scan of SPECT scan of the brain etc

And you may already know in the recent times there are laboratory testings that are available to check the concentration of neurotransmitter levels in the brain through conducting a Neurotransmitter testing.

This type of testing can be done with samples such as urine, or blood, or saliva etc, although urine samples are preferred over other types of samples.

Through neurotransmitter tests it is now possible to detect any kind of imbalances among one’s major brain chemicals, also called as neurotransmitter or neurochemicals such as the ones mentioned below; they can check the concentration of various neurotransmitters, and the following are the ones that are commonly checked;

Serotonin

Epinephrine

Norepinephrine

Dopamine

Glycine

GABA

Glutamate

Acetylcholine

Histamine etc

There are laboratories that are equipped with state of the art sophisticated testing devices and they also have the technical know-how to help with detecting & evaluating the possible neurotransmitter imbalances through using various specimens such as urine, blood, or saliva samples etc.

These types of tests help us to obtain a baseline assessment of the concentration of various neurotransmitter levels in the brain and this in turn will help us in ascertaining the precise root cause for many neurological/brain related diseases and illnesses, and facilitate us in choosing the most appropriate personalized treatments for the health condition that is causing the symptoms.

Above mentioned laboratory analysis can tell us what kind of imbalance is present – whether it is deficiency of one or more neurotransmitters or whether there is any excess of these. And there are also tests available to detect imbalance of hormonal and/or nutrient cofactors which influence the production of neurotransmitters in the brain.

Each individual is unique, agree? So we require individual solutions focusing on an individual patient instead of one-size-fits all diagnosis and therapeutic approach. These types of tests help us to identify precisely which neurotransmitter level is out of balance and helps us to determine which therapies are need to be chosen for an individualized treatment plan, for the most successful outcome.

These types of tests will also help us in monitoring the effectiveness of the therapeutic regimen of an individual patient.

The following are couple of article that indicates the neurotransmitter testing; especially the urine testing for neurotransmitters can assist with the diagnosis & treatments that are related to the dysfunction of imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain;

https://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/_uploaded_files/validity_of_neurotransmitter_testing.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20696183

The below site provide information on whom to contact, how to arrange for these tests, and what kind of tests are available, the cost of these tests etc;

https://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/neurotransmitter_tests.html

And as mentioned earlier too, this type of testing can be done with saliva, or blood sample too, but urine test is considered as the most reliable method of testing currently.

Once again to your main question, yes, the issue of chemical imbalance occurring in the brain is certainly a fact and this has been confirmed by investigations too; and there are also various kinds of tests that are available that can be used to identify and quantify these kinds of chemical imbalances and this can help in choosing the most appropriate course of treatments for the type of chemical imbalance in the brain a person is having.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. Please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 13 days ago

Hi, I am trying following up on your health question, have you received the answer I have posted above? And have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have expressed above related to the “chemical imbalance in the brain” or any other health reated concerns? Please let me know and I will be very glad to continue assisting you as long as you need my services.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)