Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a tumor removed from my urine bladder. Prior to the…

Customer Question
I had a tumor...

I had a tumor removed from my urine bladder. Prior to the operation, I had a catheter inserted in my urethra and attached to a drainage bag. That catheter remained for two weeks after the operation. But it could no longer be removed because, I was told, my bladder had stopped working. So I'd have to retain that catheter and bag for the rest of my live. I don't believe this diagnosis. Is there something I'm missing?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I have no idea what kind of record you mean. Can you elaborate?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Up to the time I was diagnosed with the tumor, I've been reasonably healthy for 86 years. However, I have had major surgery for unrelated items in the past such as open heart surgery, gall bladder removal, Colin resection due to Diverticulitis, Tonsil removal and Appendix removal.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
2/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

are you male? as men get older, they often can have an enlarged prostate gland which can make it difficult to urinate.

doing kegel exercise can help improv your pelvic floor muscle strength possibly

you should see a urology doctor and get a urodynamic study to see if the bladder muscles are weak, or if the prostate gland is enlarged and blocking flow of urine out of the bladder.