Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter called from out of state concerned about

Customer Question
Second opinion] My daughter...

Second opinion] My daughter called from out of state concerned about numbness and tingling in both arms.. she is 37 and a 20 year severe crack cocaine addict. She actually seems very concerned and wonders if she should seek immediate medical attention. She is malnourished and in poor health as it is. When she has gone to medical facilities they read right through her and send her on her way with a huge bill she won�t pay and referral to rehab which no one can afford(we have exhausted our savings sending her numerous times to no avail). No one really cares about street junkies like her- sad but true. But do you think that she should go to a doctor immediately due to her current symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

No. She has never gone for this particular problem. I was only saying that her past experiences have made her feel like no one cares. But she does seem quite concerned now

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has been bulemic in the past but this may be under control now-although she definitely appears undernourished. Also she has classic signs of bipolar although this may be the drug abuse. And...she was told about one year ago that she has beginning signs of emphysema. At that time it was thought she had heart issues but apparently an echocardiogram was negative

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
2/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 5 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

If she has risk factors for potential IV drug use (which would greatly increase her chance of infections) -- then I would say she should get this checked out right away.

One of the concerns for her symptoms in someone that uses IV drugs is the possibility that an infection has involved the cervical spine, or is causing increased pressure on the nerves in the area. The cervical spine has the nerves which go down into the arms, and pressure on the spinal cord in that area can cause numbness and tingling down both arms.

Another possibility is that she has a herniated disc or other issue in the neck (not infection) that is causing the same symptoms arising from the neck. However, this is generally not an emergency, and can be checked out in a doctor's office.

Best of luck.