Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a sore throat on and off for about 8 days.

I have had a...

I have had a sore throat on and off for about 8 days. Sometimes I wake up with sore throat, then other days it turned into a sinus headache, then back to sore throat. My body temperature has been low (97.6-97.8) in the last 8 days. I have been doing stretching exercises prescribed by my physical therapist since last week. My muscles have felt fine -- i.e. no achiness in my muscles as far as I can tell. I have a physical therapy appointment later today, and they do things like ultrasound, electrical stimulation, and deep muscle work. They are not open yet so I cannot call them to ask. My question is...is it safe for me to go to physical therapy today and get that kind of work, while I have this going on? And secondly, might I be contagious?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

The headache happened for about 2 days, and then went away. Then a few days later it came back for a couple of days, and then went away. I had a little nausea once, just a couple of days ago, and then it went away fairly quickly.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm currently doing a parasite cleanse prescribed from my doctor, for a parasite (pinworm) I picked up in Asia.

2/1/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Thanks for using Just Answer. I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.

Regards.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine for those symptoms?

55 Female. Did not consult a doctor or take a test yet. I just started yesterday taking some natural antibiotics.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The symptoms sound like a viral infection.
Viral infection usually gets over within a week, sometimes get prolonged.
As the symptoms are continuing for 8 days, I would advise to take an examination by your doctor.
He can take throat swab, blood work.
Ibuprofen or tylenol can be taken, meanwhile.
Please take plenty of fluid.
Have adequate rest.
I would advise to avoid physical therapy till you feel normal.
You can do warm salt,water gargling.
1/2 tsf salt in 8 oz. of warm water would be good.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)