Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible to have high blood pressure and it not be a…

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to have high blood pressure and it not be a problem?

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

One week, and yes alittle bit

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes, I'm scared to death of goin to the doctor always have been and it elevates my blood pressure

1/29/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What are your age and gender?

Do you suffer from a headache?

Any symptoms?

What is your blood pressure reading?

Do you have high blood pressure only at doctor's office?

Duration of symptoms?

Are you taking any medicines?

Stress and anxiety?

Lack of sleep?

Dizziness?

Alcohol and smoking consumption?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Ill give it to you straight. I am 56 years old and in perfect health. I have no symptoms of anything, never go to the doctor because I don't need to. I sweat a lot so I was dehydrated 15 years ago went to emergency room they pumped me back up I was fine, went to the ER for a really bad flu a few years ago and my blood pressure was like 160 over whatever, then a week ago I went to the ER again for what I thought was the flu but it turned out to be a extream case of Vertigo. I was dizzy first then started throwing up. anyway, they did cat scan, chest scan, took blood, checked everything out and I was perfect, the fact is I get freak out goin to the doctor and I know it raises my blood pressure, but they insist that I gonna have a stroke and all this bs
Yeah I will call tomorrow

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
I didn't send any request for a phone call or extra charges.
It can be an intrusion of automatic offers for premium services. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

I am writing you the answer which may take 4-5 minutes.
You needn't accept them.
We can continue our conversation in this reply forum.

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, high blood pressure at doctor's office is considered White Coat Hypertension.

White coat hypertension is caused by the stress that doctor's appointments can create. Once you'd left the doctor's office, if your blood pressure normalized, the thought was that there wasn't a problem.

So, you should monitor your blood pressure at home.

As your all investigations are fine so you can adopt dietary and lifestyle changes.

dashdiet.org/what_is_the_dash_diet.asp

Do aerobic exercises.

Sometimes stress, infection, medicines can raise blood pressure.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor
Thank you I know everything you just told me, I eat completely healthy, like Ridiculously healthy and have for thirty years, I still surf, lift weights, jump rope, rollerblade, work out like I have my whole life (consistently), have never had any problem that would make me think I need to go to a doctor for blood pressure or anything. I walked to a Rite Aid close to my home 2 days ago to check my blood pressure, just thinking about it makes me mad, raising my blood pressure I'm sure? I don't know, I guess I'm a freak when it comes to this kinda stuff. So I check my blood pressure first one is 147 over whatever, 2 mins later I check it again and it 171 over whatever, wait 5 more mins then its 184 over whatever, its just ridiculous! just putting my arm through that thing and pumping up my arm flips me out. is there a way to check blood pressure without pumping your arm up?? when I was in the ER sick a week ago it went as high as 200 then 10 mins later was at 160 then they didn't check it again

Thanks for replying me back.

Some new products like Salu Pulse+ compact wearable to measure blood pressure without an inflatable cuff are available on the market.

However, in most of the places, hospitals, ER, blood pressure is monitored with an inflatable cuff sphygmomanometer.

You should still monitor your blood pressure three days a week at the same time.

Avoid eating meals, exercise before monitoring.

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.

They say that your blood pressure is suppose to be 120 over 80 , Right? Isn't that based on averages of people . My point being maybe 140 over 90 is perfectly normal for me or 160 over whatever is normal , doctors see anything over 120 and start saying your gonna have a stroke , heart attack or whatever. My doctor gave me 10 mg of norvasc 5 days ago and I don't feel any different and I'm officially stopping taking this stuff as of right now , I've read about side affects with this stuff

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

A blood pressure above 140/90 mm Hg is considered abnormal.

It may take 1-2 weeks to show a proper effect on lowering blood pressure after starting anti-hypertensive medicine.

You should try such dietary changes.

Eat a banana or other potassium-rich food

And if your blood pressure is persistently higher than 150/99 mm of Hg then it can increase the risk and anti-hypertensive medicine can be advised.

Hope this helps.