Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it normal for blood pressure to 155/106 after starting…

Is it normal for...

Is it normal for blood pressure to 155/106 after starting metformin?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

Blurred vision, dizzy, little nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

History of hypertension controlled with meds, this was my very first dose of 500 mg of metformin

1/28/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This is not normal.

Metformin single dose is not common to cause high blood pressure, but this may occur in minor fraction of individuals.

You may need to monitor your blood pressure.

If this is persistently high, you may increase your blood pressure medicines.

Following would also be recommended:

a) Patients with the hypertension do need to restrict table salt which is considered as a prime regulator of the blood pressure. It is advised to reduce sodium intake to no more than 2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride per day. It is also advised that adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d), helps in reducing the blood pressure.

b) Following dietary and nutrition measure are strongly recommended to bring down the blood pressure;

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products may lower blood pressure by 10-16 mm Hg.
Oral potassium supplement may lower both systolic and diastolic pressure. Calcium and magnesium supplements, too, decrease the in blood pressure.
Low alcohol consumption lowers the blood pressure.
Stop smoking, if you do and reducing intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol benefits tremendously in overall cardiovascular health.
Following reduce and regulate the blood pressure:

1) Garlic

2) Fish oil

3) Herb Hawthorn

4) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Non smoker non drinker, family history of heart disease & diabetes 49yrs old 200 lbs. What is too high for blood pressure

A blood pressure of 160/110 would be considered as too high and attention of physician.

Blood pressure should be maintained below 140/90.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you!

You are very welcome.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/