Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Recently i feel as if i have had some memory issues- nothing…

Recently i feel as if...
Recently i feel as if i have had some memory issues- nothing too big- things like forgetting where i put my keys then finding them right away- forgetting i went to a party years ago but remembering after i was prompted--Just yesterday i was out with my wife and some music came on- I always used to do a stupid dance all throughout collage... I could remember almost of of my moves but one in particular i couldnt remember for the life of me.. Is it possible for me to frgt a mtor skil like this?
I have mild Health anxiety and havent been on a dance floor for quite some time... The moves i used to do were never practiced and were more from the heart... Even so- It is worrisome that i might forget something as simple as this... Its almost like forgetting how to ride a bike... isnt it?I havent been on any meds in the last 24 hours... I was on benadryl at night for about a week up until yesterday
1/23/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry you are concerned about having memory issues. What you are describing may be totally normal. But if you have a family history of any form of dementia, you may want to be evaluated. The evaluation would include a brain CT or MRI to evaluate for abnormal growth. Since you didn't say the memory loss was associated with headaches or vision changes, I will assume you have none. Again, this is most likely nothing to cause concern, but if you are concerned, then please see your doctor to be evaluated.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Can dementia, altimeters or something sinister show up in someone 27 with no family history of mental illness? and if so- can it start with motorskills like forgetting a dance move?

It is a very slim possibility, but highly unlikely. Forgetting a physical move/learned response that has not been performed for years is not uncommon. It is not like riding a bike, as this requires many more neurological functions. You also mentioned that after being prompted, you remembered...This is also normal and no indication of a mental disorder. With your known "Health Anxiety..." this is most likely nothing more than your anxiety. We all "forget things" and this should not lead you to believe you have a physical problem. May I suggest you look up exercises on the internet to help with remembering things (Names, repeating the name of a person you are just meeting), Reading a "shopping list" several times, etc. But always remember, that all adults forget things that have happened in the past and forgetting doesn't mean you have any type of problem.

As a side note- I had an MRI 4 months ago and was told i had a normal brain.. should this be enough to rid me of concern or can something develop in 4 months?

Thank you for this additional information.

Nothing would have grown in 4 months, so the fact that you had a "normal brain" this is enough to stop any concerns about physical or mental problems other than your anxiety.

Understanding nothing would grow- Could the brain deteriorate in that amount of time?Sorry for all the questions- you have been very helpful.

Absolutely not.

You are letting your anxiety interfere with your logic, nothing more.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor