Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 26 and hears his heart beat in his ears. Along…

My son is 26...

My son is 26 and hears his heart beat in his ears. Along with that he feels lightheaded and gets blurred vision with a pulse over 100. What could 've going on?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?

No headaches really. It's been going on for a couple of months, off and on.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He was really sick a few months ago and ended up in the emergency room. Was treated with c-diff. They did a CT scan and showed some kind of virus in his abdominal lymph glands. So it seems like he's just had alot of things going on. He used to be really healthy. But his health has been declining for the last 6 months probably. We take him to drs. And they don't seem to be as concerned as we are.

1/23/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Tinnitus is a perception of sound in proximity to the head in the absence of an external source. An heat beat sound in ear is called as pulsatile tinnitus.

Arterial vessels near the temporal bone may transmit sounds associated with turbulent blood flow, especially if the loudness of the sound exceeds the hearing threshold in that ear. This may be responsible of pulsatile tinnitus. The petrous carotid system is the most common source, although other arteries may also be involved.

The other causes for it are;

1) Anemia (decreased hemoglobin),

2) Thyroid hormone imbalance,

3) Aberrant internal carotid artery ,

4) High jugular bulb, glomus lesions etc.

He needs to visit an ENT doctor to get examined and investigated by complete blood workup, Pure tone and brain stem evoked response audiometry, MRI & MRA, thyroid function tests etc.

This is not itself a serious condition, although an evaluation for underlying atherosclerotic disease, should be done by otolaryngologist or neurotologist. Following investigations may also be required; an MRI with contrast initially, followed by CT/CT angiography and subsequent interventional angiography if necessary.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

He has had a full workup with otolaryngologist. Had both ears tested. He's half deaf in his right ear from shooting guns, but otherwise, a good report. He also had a full workup with cardiologist. They did an ultrasound and halter monitor. Nothing conclusive.. ultrasound came back good. He had blood work done. His T4 was low on thyroid, but drs. Weren't concerned with it. I feel like a cranial MRI would be something that should be done.

MRI or brain, MR arteriography would be the next step as he has been already investigated from the point of ENT.

It is privilege assisting you.

with the beating sound in his ears cause his lightheadedness and high pulse.?

The problem which is causing beating sound in ears is likely to be responsible for the lightheadedness and high pulse.

A brain aneurysm may cause all of these.

I'm going to hope for the 1st. Can an aneurysm go on that long?

This is just one of the possibility.

Aneurysm can go for very long.

Will an MRI show an aneurysm?

Magnetic resonance arteriography (MRA) will show aneurysm.

Ok. That is what I will push for to start off. He has another appt friday. (He was hit by a semi truck 10 yrs ago. Had swelling of the brain that they watched closely and had numerous surgeries from that accident.) He's pulled thru it all. I will definitely run with your advise. Thank you for your time.

You are very welcome.

Wishing a speedy resolution of your son's symptoms.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.