Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Chip only, Another doctor just told me that he didn't…

Dr. Chip only,Another doctor just...
Dr. Chip only,Another doctor just told me that he didn't think we'd be able to hide the first or second day of the flu. Do you agree?Here is my whole question:I want to get on that ship, even if my husband and I are sick, and we will quarantine ourselves immediately thereafter.But if it is the first day of the flu, how do we hide it? AND is it safe to:
1. Fly for 4 hours that day (Buenos Aires to Ushuaia)
2. Walk around Tiera del Fuego for awhile--we won't have a choice
3. Finally board the ship at the end of the dayI've read that flu can just suddenly take over your lungs, and then you die. I certainly don't want to encourage that. How likely are we to cause that by remaining active? Or it can be impossible to bring the fever down. Are we likely to be causing that?Will advil (600mg) make the fever go away--so no chills?
I'll have afrin for both of us, and some Robitussin cough pills, which probably won't work. Also Halls cough lozenges.Do you think those things would make us successful in hiding a bad case of the flu, or are we unlikely to be able to do that?Do you have other ideas of things we should bring.They say that people have the flu shot should get a lighter version of the flu. Do you agree? How light do you think the symptoms would be?
1/23/2018

1) No I don't agree that you couldn't hide the first couple of days of the flu

2) All of what you mentioned would be safe

3) No, the flu doesn't suddenly take over your lungs and kill you and being active with the flu is not dangerous

4) The Advil should keep the fever down

5) The vaccine can reduce the symptoms and the length of the flu if one did get the flu

I really think you still are over worried about this--we're still dealing with a what if situation that I don't think will ever occur

Okay, I'm glad you think we can hide the flu in it's worst stage. Can you give me some tips?
This doctor said we would look sick and I think we could be shaking with chills and possible dragging along on the hike. What do you think?

Tips about what exactly?

How to hide the flu ---do you think we'll be shaking with chills? or faint? or will the advil stop all of that? I remember when I was in 6th grade I had the flu, and couldn't get out of bed. They would have noticed me for sure as they checked me onto a ship.

The advil and fluids will keep off the fever and the shakes and with it you won't look sick and you won't be dragging

are you truly sure?

Truly sure

have you been reading today? they'd thought the flu peaked a weak ago, and on Friday there were a lot more deaths. This is an epidemic that is not waning yet? do you think it will wane soon?
week not weak!!

They're just reporting like they do every year with the flu and it should like it has in past years be on the wane in a week or so

when we go on Feb 13---there will still be tons of flu around
why don't you think we'll get it?? do you trust the tamiflu that much??? it is far from 100%?
the tamiflu is far from working 100% of the time, I mean
even prophylactically

You really don't have much of a chance of getting it--let's leave it at that

The tamiflu is worthwhile in giving you a better chance of not getting it

if someone with active flucoughs all over us, what do you think our chances are of catching the flu???? this answer will really help me understand the risk!!
last question (see above)

Even in that case the chance would be very low--most people don't get the flu when that happens

why not (sorry, just had to ask)

Just a one time exposure like that carries a very low risk

For example, in the last week I've seen dozens of patients with the flu coughing up a storm and I'm not worried that I'll get the flu

on the plane, we're in business--so if we wipe everything down, we should be okay, right?

You should be fine

thank you