Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr. Love only, I want to get on that ship, even if Rolf and…

Dr. Love only,I want to...
Dr. Love only,I want to get on that ship, even if Rolf and I are sick, and we will quarantine ourselves immediately thereafter.But if it is the first day of the flu, how do we hide it? AND is it safe to:
1. Fly for 4 hours that day (Buenos Aires to Ushuaia)
2. Walk around Tiera del Fuego for a while--we won't have a choice
3. Finally board the ship at the end of the dayI've read that flu can just suddenly take over your lungs, and then you die. I certainly don't want to encourage that. How likely are we to cause that by remaining active? Or it can be impossible to bring the fever down. Are we likely to be causing that?Will advil (600mg) make the fever go away--so no chills?
I'll have afrin for both of us, and some Robitussin cough pills, which probably won't work. Also Halls cough lozenges.Do you think those things would make us successful in hiding a bad case of the flu, or are we unlikely to be able to do that?Do you have other ideas of things we should bring.They say that people have the flu shot should get a lighter version of the flu. Do you agree? How light do you think the symptoms would be?
1/23/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

There usually is no hiding the flu. Medicines can help ease symptoms, but the symptoms of a flu are generally more severe than a generic virus, so these medicines usually does not hide the fact that you are sick.

Whether you can be active on the first day of the flu would depend upon the severity of symptoms.

It is rare for influenza to suddenly take over your lungs, but being active is not likely to cause this, nor will activity make it impossible to bring the fever down.

Advil usually will help relieve the fever.

Yes, with the flu vaccine, there is less likelihood of having more severe infections, as well as less hospitalizations and less complications of other medical conditions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why couldn't we hide the flu? The coughing?

Because of all the symptoms, as well as just general appearance. People with the flu typically look like they feel sick.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wouldn't advil help that?

It may help to some extent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tell me again what the chances are that you think we'll have the flu a few days after getting off the airplane. Apparently this virus is really potent and still hasn't peaked. I think we have a much higher than 2.4% chance of being exposed in line or on the plane

But this year still is not at a level to be considered a pandemic, and as we discussed, the article that we discussed was performed during a pandemic year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think if someone coughs in our face, we have a huge chance of getting it, despite the tamiflu (do you agree???)--that's the biggest question--what is the likelihood of getting the flu if someone coughs all over you???

There is no study that assesses the likelihood of infection after someone "coughs all over you".

However the study done during the pandemic year obviously must have included whatever level of one person coughing all over another person exists.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you notice that that study was done EARLY in the pandemic. It probably wasn't very bad then. Weren't there only a few sick people on the planes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you truly believe we won't be able to get on the ship because we'll look too sick???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even with lots of advil?

The pandemic occurred early in the flu season.

Since you are unlikely to get sick, you are likely to be able to get onto the ship.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

You are welcome.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor