Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is sick with the flu and bronchitis and accidentally…

My son is sick...

My son is sick with the flu and bronchitis and accidentally took his prednisone 50 mg tonight after taking it this am. It is supposed to be daily. It has been 12+ hours since his last dose. He is taking tamiflu and motrin as well. Is there anything extra we should do or watch for?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies. Currently on tamiflu third day and motrin prn.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, medical conditions. Tested positive for the flue a couple of days ago. Does not routinely take any medications.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

he most likely will have some troubling sleeping tonight which is ok

watch for upset stomach

prednisone should always be taken with food in the stomach after a meal

if he gets upset stomach, he may need a stomach acid reducer like zantac or prilosec or maalox or mylanta to help decrease stomach acid.

Ok. He is able to eat and will expect the trouble sleeping. Should he skip the dose tomorrow morning and resume the following day?

no.

he should resume his prednisone again in the morning after a meal

and keep taking them as directed.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
All good. Thank you!

thanks for the positive feedback

You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician