Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do you agree with this information? "There is a muscle at…

Do you agree with this...
Do you agree with this information?
"There is a muscle at the bottom of the esophagus (the tube between the mouth and the stomach), called the 'lower esophageal sphincter' (LES), that tightens to close the opening to the stomach after a person stops eating and/or drinking to prevent the backing up (reflux) of stomach content into the esophagus.So the reason why stomach acid, or any liquid/food, comes back up from the stomach and into the mouth (also called regurgitation) is because this muscle has not done what it was supposed to do at that time. It either became loose, or didn't close all the way.Causes that loosen this muscle can be many - from taking certain medications (pain pills, muscle relaxers, etc.), eating certain foods and drinks (chocolate, peppermint, citrus fruits/drinks, alcohol, soda, coffee, etc.) to the position of the body (bending over a certain way), or anything that causes extra pressure on the stomach, even certain medical conditions.
If it only happens once or twice, I agree, it's not too much to worry about. Just drink some water to push/wash the acid back down into the stomach, because you don't want the acid to stay in the esophagus or back of throat because it can cause damage to teeth and the esophagus itself.If it happens more often, a trip to a doctor, in order to find out or rule out any medical condition, such as GERD, Acid Reflux, hernia, or any other contributing factor.When fried or greasy food is consumed, your body must create more acid to break it down. When the food is gone, the acid remains. Your body slowly gets rid of the excess acid, but slowly. The acid is so hot, that it slowly rises, like a hot air balloon. Then to your mouth."Especially the part about greasy food requiring more acid to break it down. And excess acid being produced because of that that will take some extra time to break down.
1/23/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Yes I agree. Why do you ask?

I just want to understand why sometimes I get acid and partly digested food coming back into my throat. But only sometimes and only if I eat certain foods, like dairy. And meat which I rarely eat. And a few times I actually threw up when that happened and I threw up bile, but it still burned my throat and felt acidic. And someone on a forum, not a doctor, said acid doesn't and can't come back into my throat, and that bile is alkaline. That there is supposed to be acid in my stomach so she was a little bit mocking about it all. I've put it nicely, she didn't.I KNOW there is supposed to be acid in my stomach but I thought if certain foods didn't digest easily you could produce extra acid (to break it down) and the bile I don't know why that happens. She claimed your stomach doesn't produce extra acid ever. :( So I just really wanted to understand and to get some confirmation. The above info was not directed at me and just came from a general website about why you sometimes might get acid in your mouth.I hope that made some sense.

Yes, that made sense.

you are absolutely correct in this information

I'm not sure where she got her information but it is not accurate

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

thanks. That's all I needed to know.

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor