Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bronchitis and use the inhaler every 4 hours. My

I have bronchitis and...

I have bronchitis and use the inhaler every 4 hours. My problem is continuous sweating. Should I be on antibiotics??

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes and she put me on the puffer only

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm 70 and had pneumonia just once 24 yrs ago

1/22/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask that are you experiencing any shortness of breath? wheezing? fever? How long have you had the bronchitis? And what is the name of the inhaler that you have been using?

no to those three questions. 16 days. 200 dos atrovent HFA 20 mcg [ipratropium BROMIDE]

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually given your symptoms and the absence of any fever, shortness of breath or even wheezing it does not seem like that you need antibiotics at the moment. However, if you do develop these symptoms at any time then you will certainly need antibiotics or if you start coughing up sputum which is discolored (green, yellow or rust colored). Sweating on its own does not indicate the use of antibiotics as that can be due to other issues as well including a thyroid disorder, stress, coughing or even changes in your heart rate or blood pressure.

If your symptoms don't settle down within the next 4-5 days then you MAY need a course of antibiotics preferably zpack because by that time your bronchitis would have been present for 3 weeks and at that time if the symptoms have not settled down, we add antibiotics and steroids to the regimen regardless of the symptoms. But right now an inhaler would be enough for most patients.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali