Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am an anxiety sufferer. Are you available for chat at this…

I am an anxiety...

I am an anxiety sufferer. Are you available for chat at this time?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

About a year and a half. It started with a stressful event that triggered heart palpitations, followed by several panic attacks (1 or more arrythmic seizures and 1 hyperventilation) over the course of maybe 2 weeks. I was on a generic equivalent of Xanax for a month and then on an equivalent of Zoloft for several months. No panic attacks since then, but physiological anxiety symptoms have not disappeared. I'll comment on what's bothering me now when you have read this.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Probably not, Sorry, just to check, will I be billed for this? I just need to know before we proceed.

1/22/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Please ask your question.

The communication broke down last night because I went into the wrong interface after paying. In brief: recently, I've been experiencing the following symptoms: since Saturday a feeling of pressure around the left jugular (or carotid?); swallowing saliva has also been more laborious, in the past 2 weeks or so have had shortness of breath (seems to be felt mostly as my nose and the area around the opening to my throat feeling tired; also felt some pressure around my nose and lip); yesterday had a bad headache on the left side of my head. Other than maybe a very light cold, I can't think of anything other than that they are all connected with anxiety. Currently, I'm not feeling too bad on any of the listed things, but it goes up and down. Could these symptoms turn deadly? E.g. be a lead-in to a stroke? Or cause my breathing muscles to atrophy?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The cause of your symptoms can be an upper respiratory tract infection which in most individuals is due to a virus and is harmless. This will not cause any complications.

Another possible cause of your symptoms would be anxiety itself (panic attack) which can cause such symptoms.

In both cases, there are unlikely to be any short-term or long-term complications. These causative factors will not cause any serious or life-threatening disease. It will have no effect on the respiratory muscles or on any other organ of the body. You have no reason to worry regarding this.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Thank you.

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!
Glad that I could help.
Thank you!