Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 7 year old son was complaining about painful left

My 7 year old...

My 7 year old son was complaining about painful left testicle which started aching while he was watching TV. He is now in bed and says that the pain is 4-5 on a scale of 10. I gave him Advil although he has no fever; he is settling in to sleep right now. Would you recommend I get him checked even if he has no pain in the morning? thanks

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

He had it for about 1 hour and touch makes it worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

None,

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Any history of injury?

Associated swelling, tenderness?

Pain during urination?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Hi, no injury, no visible swelling but tenderness. He was in bed and I put my hand over his duvet cover and he then told me he was in pain because my arm had put pressure on the area. I did not know he had complained to his dad about it beforehand - there is nothing visible. He said urination was a bit painful.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, it sounds Orchitis or inflammation of the testis.

Epididymitis and epididymal-orchitis are the inflammation of the epididymis and testis and it can be another possible cause.

Urine examination, ultrasonography can be needed if he feels pain in the morning.

In case of infection, antibiotics can cure it.

In case of sharp and persistent pain at night, it can be caused due to Torsion of the testis which causes acute pain & is a medical emergency you should take him to doctor urgently to an emergency room for further management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

thanks - if it is torsion would that keep him awake? otherwise we’ll wait and see how it goes over night and in the morning. thanks for the advice

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes, in case of torsion, he will wake up with an intense pain.

Otherwise, see him in the morning.

In case of persistent tenderness, pain then visits his doctor for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Thank you

I wish for your good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil