Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was Diagnosed with Gastroenteritis on December 23rd. The…

I was Diagnosed with...

I was Diagnosed with Gastroenteritis on December 23rd. The symptons i was having diarrehea and vomiting and stomach pain. Well, the vomiting and stomach pain stopped. But I've been having yelliw diarrehea and it burns. Also, I've had blood test and stool collected. And everything came back normal. I ended up going to the ER yesterday for nausea and diarrehea. I was told that my potassium was low and given a prescription for potassium pills which I received two in the ER to take. I picked up my prescription today. Taken a pill and late tonight i started having diarrhea again.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg, verapamil 240mg, nexium 40mg im allergic to hydrocodone it makes me itch.

1/22/2018
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

Welcome and thank you for the question.

I am reviewing it now and will answer again in a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Recurrent diarrhea usually occurs in condition of inflammation of the gut such as Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's disease - both these conditions may also cause abdominal pain.

Malabsoprtion syndromes in which the food is not well digested in the gut can also cause repeated diarrhea.

Irritable bowel syndrome and is another common cause for recurrent diarrhea.

In your case, since you have had an earlier bout of diarrhea with abdominal pain , I believe that you should be investigated for inflammatory diseases.

Please consult your doctor again. Meanwhile , please take Immodium tablets, available OTC to contro the diarrhea. Also take a diet known as the BRAT diet: bananas, rice (white), applesauce and toast. It is very effective in controlling diarrhea.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here till you are satisfied. Simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Thank You.

You are welcome