Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there anyone that could answer some questions about some…

Hello. Is there anyone that...
Hello. Is there anyone that could answer some questions about some symptoms I am having that I think might be Herpes?
1/21/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What symptoms are you having?

I have been having extreme itchiness in my inner thighs and down my legs for almost three weeks now. There were never any sores or blisters. Until last night I noticed on the head of my penis a small red blotch. To the best of my vision, I could not see any blisters or pimples. Just a blotch. It doesn’t hurt. It doesn’t itch. But the itching in my inner thighs and legs has me worried. The last time I had sex was on December 5th. The itchiness started around January 2nd. And again, I just noticed the red spot last night, Jan 19.

This is very unlikely to be herpes.

First, this is a bit long to be a first herpes infection. The usual incubation period between exposure and onset of symptoms is 3-7 days. It can be longer, and rarely up to 3 weeks, but there are 4 weeks from your last sexual encounter and the onset of itching and over 6 weeks until the onset of the red spot. In addition, the nerve symptoms that can occur before a first herpes infection can precede the onset of sores by 1-3 days, but it typically does not precede the sores by 2 weeks.

It is true that there are some people that do not have significant symptoms during a first infection from herpes and a second infection of herpes can occur at any point in time for the rest of your life. But this pattern of symptoms is not what is seen with a second infection. There can be some itching, tingling, or burning that can precede the inset of the sore with a second infection, but it is typically limited to the area near the sore. It typically is not diffuse affecting both thighs and down the legs.

It is possible to have more diffuse itching, tingling, or burning before a first herpes infection, but the timing is wrong for a first herpes infection, as discussed above.

Therefore, this is very unlikely to be herpes.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

No. Thank you for giving me some clarification.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor