Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a had a sore throat sniffles and exhaustion going on…

Customer Question
I have a had...

I have a had a sore throat sniffles and exhaustion going on more than 3 weeks can not seem to get better start dozing off in the afternoon.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

No fever going on a month.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had bouts of depression

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 1 month ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

How severe is your sore throat?

Do you have problem in swallowing?

Are you diabetic?

What are the investigations done?

With a sore throat of three weeks, following should be considered for your symptoms;

1) Epstein Barr virus (EBV)-associated mononucleosis

2) Parapharyngeal space infections,

3) Peritonsillar abscess ("quinsy"), and

4) Submandibular space infection

A visit to an ENT specialist and following investigations, should be done;

1) Throat cultures have been the "gold standard" for diagnosing GAS (group A streptococcus) pharyngitis and another pathogen, such as N. gonorrhoeae.

2) Blood counts

3) EBV virus antibodies

4) Indirect laryngoscopy (ENT specialist see the inside of the throat by a mirror).

5) Lateral (side neck)) cervical view of the plain radiograph, exposed for soft tissue detail.

If the throat culture is positive and counts show the infection, injectable antibiotics would be needed. Antibiotics of choice are;

1) Penicillin G plus metronidazole

2) Clindamycin

3) Cefoxitin

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor