Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am an 84 year old female. Over the past five blood tests…

I am an 84...

I am an 84 year old female. Over the past five blood tests my white blood cell count has been continually dropping, it is now 2.7. my doc wants me to redo in 4 months. Her nurse practictioner told me to see a hematologist now. I have not been able to reach my doc for additional info. I am concerned.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

The lab report is headed CBC (includes diff/plt) if that helps

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I dont think so, she has been my doc for years.

1/20/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Let me tell you at the outset that this may not be anything serious, if there are no associated symptoms and signs.

But there is no harm in getting it further investigated and evaluated by a hematologist. The common causes can be;

1) Subtle viral infection

2) Autoimmune disorder.

3) Drugs / Medications / Hebs

4) Vitamin deficiency

5) Aplastic anemia

6) Hypersplenism

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you, ***** ***** confused about the two differing opinions: the nurse practitioner telling me to see hematologist now, and my doc recommending a redo in four months. i am inclined to accept my docs recommendation but she is hard to reach and I haven't received a return call.

You are very welcome.

It is all about symptoms and signs. If you have none and you are feeling alright, this can be wait and watch after 4 months.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Isabel,

Hope you are doing good.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor