Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My sister had a baby last August and 3 days after her family…

Hi Pearl, my sister...

Hi Pearl, my sister had a baby last August and 3 days after her family MD prescribed sertraline, she developed chronic headaches. They are ongoing to this day. she's had MRIs, been to emerg 4 x and has a neurologist giving her cortisone shots. However, the pain is so severe after stopping amytryptoline (sp?) a week ago that she's talking about hurting herself. she has 2 young kids. we don't want to go to emerg again because it's the weekend shift and no one has answers!

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea - ongoing daily headache. pain throbbing in both temples and now in back of the head.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She had a double pulmonary embolism in her first pregnancy and is still dealing with that. took fragmin daily during that first pregnancy and again during teh second.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pain is now in the back of the head as well; she had this pain occurring in the same location a few months back. Went to emerg and they took blood - but nothing showing. no cancer thank God and no tumours - they don't see anything. NO ONE has answers. We are beyond desperate!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She cries all the time, several times a day. Next neurologist appt is monday but she's scared about getting throgh the weekend. We (mom and sister) trying to help best we can as is her husband but none of us can find a solution to this headache. neither can the experts. We've looked at biofeedback techniques, alternative medicine but nothing. Hoping to get some advice today in terms of some how she can calm herself (beyond visualization, etc. - we've done all of this)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plus, the 2 CT scans she had came back normal. Plus a CT with contrast because her current neurologist felt headaches were caused by a slow epidural leak in her brain. That result also came back negative. No history of migraines or headaches in family.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 MRIs done - normal. She is here beside me weeping with her head down -I'm transcribing as she describes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's 42 and has been in excellent health until the pulmonary embolism was detected in pregnancy #1 in Sept. 2014
1/20/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I'm assuming she had an epidural during the pregnancy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was a c section

Has anyone investigated a possible spinal leak?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that diff from an epidural leak? Would it show up on an mri with contrast? She had that done but no epidural fluid was found in her brain

No it wouldn't show up on an MRI in all cases

did she have a spinal MRI or brain MRI?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr., I just double checked with her - and no to the spinal MRI - it was a brain MRI testing for spinal fluid that may have leaked into her brain

Ok. she needs more thorough testing for a spinal leak.

1)spinal MRI

2)lumbar puncture with pressure testing

It only makes sense that a headache starting shortly after birth where she had an epidural would be a spinal headache

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would a spinal MRI be something a neurologist could do, or would that involve another specialist? She just had a round of cortisone needles (second round) in her forehead (2 areas - front) and back of her head. She's complaining of worse pain in the back of her head since she stopped taking amytrypoline (sorry about sp) onJanuary 8
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Doctor for your time.

yes the neurologist can do it

I would ask about it

you're welcome and good luck!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
HI Dr. I'm back - need some more answers as my sister had an appt Monday with her neurologist. This whole headache situation began because she was told to take cephalaxin after pregnancy (for mastitis) zoloft (family dr gave for postpartum) and she was on fragmin (for the double pulmonary embolism throughout the pregnancy and 8 weeks after). The zoloft was prescribed last (after her pregnancy). She took zoloft after her first pregnancy without a problem.
Her neurologist now says that something happened at a cellular level in her brain with those 3 drugs being taken in combination - resulting in this NONSTOP throbbing headache.
So something at the cellular level is misfiring and I'm asking you - how do you repair/heal reconcile this? She can't go on like this with a 2 year old and 5 month old!
She's currently on gabapentin and something else as he's trying to get serotonin levels up. Help?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the other thing is nabumetone (like aleve for pain) but not working at all.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She also has a moving pain - today the pain was throbbing in her right temple but has now disappeared.
Just had a third round of cortisone on Monday - 2 needles in temple and 2 in back of head. She cries all the time
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
check that- needles in front of head (forehead) - not temple

would you mind accepting additional services?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I already paid and was informed that the question would continue to be answered. I just keep being asked for more money... very disconcerting and disturbing! Someone is suffering and I’m being asked to pay for it... literally!!!

Yes I answered the original question quite thoroughly for you

This is additional information

the site recommends we ask you for additional services

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor