Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am worried about the flu strain this year and how it is…

I am worried about the...
I am worried about the flu strain this year and how it is causing complications leading to sepsis or other deadly conditions to the otherwise healthy. I have always thought this was only dangerous for the old, really young, and compromised. I had the shot but now I am hearing that does not matter. What do I do if I get the flu? These reports are saying people are dying after only 2 days of symptoms.
1/20/2018
Dr. Rahman
Dr. Rahman, Doctor

Hello, thank you for your question! My name is***** and I'm a licensed physician. You are correct about a few things-- the flu shot this season was not the best. The flu shot is only covering about 20% of the flu strains this season. This means that a lot more people are getting the flu then in previous seasons-- which I can attest to per my own patients, my clinic has been full of patients coming in to the flu. I will tell you that even though there are some patients for which the flu is causing more severe issues such as sepsis, pneumonia, etc--those patients still are mostly elderly, infants or they have other chronic conditions. For the majority of the population the flu is just causing them to have muscle and body aches, fevers, headache, sore throat and general malaise. It is self limited and resolves within 7 days. If you were to start experiencing the symptoms I listed above, then i would recommend that you go to your doctor or an urgent care to get tested. Within the first 48 hours of getting the flu, you can start on a medication called Olstamivir, which reduces the symptom of flu by a few days. If you are an otherwise healthy person, I wouldn't worry too much about the bad complications of the flu, and I would focus on staying clear of those that have the flu and frequently washing your hands to prevent getting the flu in the first place.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today in talking about hte flu. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. If you need more assistance, please let me know about any further questions you may have and I will gladly answer them to the best of my ability. Good luck to your sister! Thank you! - Dr. Rahman

Thank you. Do you think the cases on the new of people who are not part of the risk groups and normally healthy are not giving out entire details? Another words maybe they are leaving out how long they were sick or an underlying condition?

It's hard to know since each case is so individual, and each person's history is different. I can just tell you that from my own experience at the hospital, the very sick and affected people with Flu already had underlying chronic medical problems, or they were elderly or very young. Hope this helps!

Dr. Rahman
Dr. Rahman, Doctor