Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have no appetite and I am full after only a couple of

bites. I am losing weight...
I have no appetite and I am full after only a couple of bites. I am losing weight and have lost about 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I have dropped a whole pant size. Although i am not upset by that, i think it is strange that I am not hungry especially since I take prednisone. Any thoughts?
1/19/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Since when are you taking prednisone and for what reason?

I am 28. I have been taking prednisone for 1.5 years for an autoimmune disorder

You are right. You need blood work for mild grade infection which may occur in people who are on steroids. Typical symptoms do not occur as they are masked by prednisone. Loss of appetite, significant weight loss warrant probing for the cause.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

OK. I find though that since my white count has been elevated for about the same amount of time I have been on prednisone. Since it is always high, no one knows if I have an infection or not. I have been hospitalized before because I had no signs of an infection until I was very sick. So what should I do? If it is an infection, I don't want to get to the point that I need IV antibiotics...

A repeat of complete blood counts, comprehensive metabolic panel and culture of urine and blood are first step to identify the infection.

According to the results treatment can be started.

It is privilege assisting you.

Ok, thank you.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl