Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a CT scan of lungs and found a 5.3CM hypo density

I had a CT...

I had a CT scan of lungs and found a 5.3CM hypo density lesion on my liver. i have had fatty liver in the past. They scheduled an MRI to be safe. Is this possibly malignant?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Drink alcohol daily, but generally have no symptoms nd recent blood work showed normal live functions and no other abnormaities

1/18/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Why was the CT done?

just a routine lung screening. I am a former smoker and have a few nodules that they are watching. No issues.

So this finding in the liver is what we call an "incidentaloma" meaning that it is not related to the reason for the study, is not causing symptoms and is probably benign. Examples would be a cyst, a hemangioma or an area of focal sparing from the fatty infiltration. The MRI will help to sort this out. If there is any suspicion after the MRI that the lesion could be cancerous, you will likely need further testing such as a triphasic CT scan, serum marker check or a liver biopsy.

last question, there is no history of liver problems in my family so that being the case is it more likely benign

Yes, family history is an important factor to consider.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor