Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m 48 and my psa has been from a .9. To a 1.3 since I was…

I’m 48 and my...

I’m 48 and my psa has been from a .9. To a 1.3 since I was 40. I had back surgery 2 months ago and it went from 1.2 to a 12. I waited 10 days did blood work and is was down to an 8.7, I waited 10 days and had it done again and it was down to a 4.3. What are your thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I feel great

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been on biodentical hormones for 3 years because I had under a 200 testosterone level, other than that I’ve been fine

I was in the hospital for 7 days with a catheter
1/18/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. An acute rise in PSA is consistent with an enlarged prostate and prostate inflammation (prostatitis), a urinary tract infection or recently having had a urinary catheter placed. There is no reason for concern given its fall subsequent to the catheter removal. You should monitor the PSA level awhile longer, testing in one month, three months and 6 months to see if it continues to fall and at what level it plateaus. If it stays greater than 4.0 your doctor might want to do a biopsy just to be on the safe side.

My Dr examined my prostate and said it was very small. I have no infection. Should I be concerned and get a biopsy or should I wait and do more blood work. This has me worried because my psa has never fluctuated and I get blood work done every 5 months because I get hormone pellets but always the same until this surgery.

The PSA can change slowly. Yours is going steadily down, so it would make sense to monitor it awhile longer. Prostate biopsy is not without risk, so it should only be done when the clinical picture, including the PSA, the PSA velocity, %free PSA and PSA density (requires MRI or U/S) indicate elevated risk.

Does this make sense?

sir and thank you!

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor