Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife is a diabetic and she has had a headache for 2 days…

My wife is a...

My wife is a diabetic and she has had a headache for 2 days and has thrown up several times. She now is not able to use her left hand to grasp. Are these symptoms of the flu?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

She starts in the morning and has been taking extra strength arthritis over the counter medicine and they seem to go away or get less intense but they have returned and she says the headache is so bad now that her ear aches. She has nausea and has been throwing up and trying to throw up and the last time it looked like stomach bile and no food.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is 67 and has arthritis, and takes several medicines for pain, the arthritis, and one for depression.

1/18/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's symptoms. Actually, if she is having a headache along with vomiting and the fact that the grip in her left hand has weakened then it is extremely important to get her evaluated in the ER. The reason is that whenever a patient has a headache which is accompanied by vomiting and that progresses to cause weakness in the limbs then it could be a sign of a brain disorder. It can be due to a small bleed in the brain or even due to a developing stroke. The fact is that she cannot grasp objects in her left hand, that is a sign of developing weakness.

It is VERY important that you have her evaluated in the ER immediately. While it is also possible that these signs are indicative of an infection or even simple dehydration due to vomiting or even electrolyte imbalance, but it is extremely important to rule out a brain issue here. I would STRONGLY suggest that you have this evaluated by taking to the ER and getting a Ct scan of the brain done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor