Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Pearly Pearl. I saw the dr today for a pap smear and she…

Hi Pearly Pearl Doctor's...

Hi Pearly Pearl

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw the dr today for a pap smear and she caught me off guard and said there was a lump in my pelvic area and we would need a ultra sound. I have one scheduled tomorrow. But with a brother who died of stomach/colon cancer at 44 and another brother who died of lung cancer at 52 I feel a bit anxious.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Just found out today. But last week I had excruciating pain when I had to go to the bathroom. My stomach hurt as if I was in labor. I was sweating and was sure I was going to pass out from the pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had the flu the last couple weeks too

1/18/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you had that pain.

did you have bad constipation, small hard bits of stool when you had that abdominal pain?

small bits of stool and severe constipation can often cause diverticulosis pain which can cause severe pain and sweating.

It's not really about that. It's about the lump the dr. said she found in the groin. The pain was an add on to the lump.

do you have the pain now?

most likely the pain is not related to the lump

I bet the lump is a cyst or is benign.

the ultrasound will be able to tell for sure.

Will the ultra sound tell what it is or will it just confirm a lump that then has to be biopsied. Do you think the bowel pain and the lump are connected? My brother died at 44 of colon/stomach cancer and another brother lung at 52. I am just a bit freaked out.
Are you there?

yes, the ultrasound will give much more information about the lump

I bet you won't need a biopsy

no, I don't think the bowel pain and the lump are connected.

ok thank you...

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
There wasn't a lot of information for the money. Just sorry you have pain. The biopsy will tell more. Not connected. Wish I would have what the possibilities could have been, what your experience was, could this relate to my family history, etc. Very surface answers for the money. Seems not much more than a friend would have answered. Not being mean just feel there wasn't much substance in the answers.

I am still here willing to answer questions.

the lump most likely is a benign cyst

it is difficult for me to know without being able to examine you.

I can understand your worry

but your family history doesn't mean you will have cancer.

your brother should have had testing to check for genetic causes of colon cancer at age 44

you can also see a genetic counselor to get genetic testing yourself to see if you have genes which cause early bowel or colon cancer.

Ok..thank you David. I will definitely get that gene testing. Didn't know that was possible. Thank you! Didn't mean to be a pain. Was just hoping for some substance and I guess hard to give that without examining. I should have figured that out. Have a good night.

you are welcome.