Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm 35 I am 6.1ft male 240 pounds 6 years ago I had blood in…

Hello My name is*****'m 35 I...
Hello
My name is*****'m 35 I am 6.1ft male 240 pounds
6 years ago I had blood in stool went to the doctors had a colonoscopy came back all clear no polyps. Doctors didn't even want to give me one. Anyway over the 6 years I have had flair ups of blood on stool blood on tolet paper my diet is not the best which is what I am changing. I just always get this scared feeling when I see the blood I think cancer!. Now if I went to the doctors everytime I saw blood it would beat least a few times a year.
My mom died of lung cancer due to smoking heavy I don't have as far as I know colon cancer in the family. On my dad's or mom's sideHwever my risk factors are I am considered obese and I drink. And dont eat too much vegetables
Which I am trying to turning around now.
You are suppose to be ok after 5 years after a colonoscopy I'm thinking of getting another one
Anyway just wondering what your thoughts on this matter are
1/17/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, i would agree with you regarding a colonoscopy, even though the last one was normal I would still say that another colonoscopy is certainly indicated at this point in time. The fact that you have been having blood in the stool several times a year does mean that there is a lesion inside which is causing the bleeding. The cause is likely to be benign given your age as well as the fact that if this was something serious like cancer then you would have had symptoms like severe weight loss, diarrhea alternating with constipation, loss of appetite etc. This is VERY UNLIKELY to be cancer but it can be due to hemorrhoids, polyps or even a small region of colitis (inflamed colon) inside the intestines. So, in short, a colonoscopy is certainly indicated.

Now if the colonoscopy comes back as normal then you should have your doctor do a red cell tagged scan which can easily detect even the smallest areas of bleeding which other tests can miss.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor