Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is caulis. My close friend has it just don't understand…

What is caulis Doctor's...

What is caulis

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My close friend has it just don't understand it so please explain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just leg red

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Don't know he is being seen and admitted to hospital just explain what it is

1/17/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your friend. Just to confirm, your friend developed a painful, red leg and that led him to be admitted, is that correct?

It is a very close friend like a father to me and he is in the hospital just want to know so I can understand

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually, if he was admitted for a painful red leg in the hospital then he is likely to have been admitted for a condition which is known as Cellulitis. This is a bacterial infection of the soft tissues and the skin of the leg. It occurs because of bacteria getting into the soft tissues from either a cut or a prick from a needle or even from bacteria present in the blood stream. This leads to pain, swelling, redness, tightness in the legs. It is a common infection and can be treated quite effectively with IV antibiotics, compression bandaging on the leg, elevation of the leg as well as anti-inflammatory medications like NSAIDs. Usually, this problem is not serious unless the infection spreads to the rest of the body in which case sepsis (serious bloodstream infection) occurs. In that case, strong IV antibiotics with IV fluids would be needed to treat the problem.

But as I said in most cases the treatment is simple with the help of IV antibiotics in the hospital. Here is a link where you can read more about this,

Cellulitis

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hello, i see that you have processed a refund. Was there something lacking in the information that i provided?