Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Should my mothers family physician diagnose and treat a spot…

Customer Question
Should my mothers family physician...
Should my mothers family physician diagnose and treat a spot on her nose without running any kind of laboratory tests? He told her he was going to give her a cream to see 'how it does' and check it in 6 months. Am i being overly cautious or should she be seen by a specialist for diagnosis and treatment?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/16/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you have a picture of it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No i do not. It is a little larger than a pencil eraser, red with white scaley stuff over it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has had lung cancer in the past

what did they suggest to put on it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was supposed to give her some kind of cream but her forgot to give it to her and didnt write a prescription

was it a cream that burns the area?

It sounds like an actinic keratosis to me

can you google some pictures of "actinic keratosis" and let me know if that is what it looked like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked. It is similar but bigger than what was in the pictures. He didnt tell her what the cream did.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It really troubles me that there were no tests run and no referral to a dermatologist.

I am confident that I could treat that lesion in the office

either with cryotherapy (freezing) or a biopsy and cutting

you are right. something should have been done

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so very much dr. I greatly appreciate it

welcome :)

good luck

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor