Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband had bronchitis. He then had the flu the first…

My husband had bronchitis. He...
My husband had bronchitis. He then had the flu the first week of January. He is just now starting to feel better. My son-in-law was just diagnosed with the flu today. Started feeling bad yesterday. My daughter and grandson (he is 2 years-old) were going to come over and stay with us to avoid getting anything from my son-in-law. My question is this. Should we chance them being at our house since my husband is just now getting well? Or would it be better staying in their house since they have already been around the sick guy anyway?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

What are your husband's symptoms right now?

He is just very tired. His body seems to just be worn out from being so sick for a few weeks.
I just don't want to expose my husband to getting something again when I know his immune system is probably not too strong. And is my daughter and grandson better off staying with us since her husband was diagnosed today.
or have they already been exposed and just need to steer clear of her husband.

Sorry--so your son in law going to be in the house with your husband--not clear about that?

No. My son-in law has just been diagnosed. My daughter was wanting to come stay with us so she wouldnt be around him. My concern is that they have already been exposed to the flu that my son-in law has. They may possibly show symptoms later this week or something. And I am concerned that they may inadvertently make my husband sick again by bringing over possibly a new strain of flu?
Does she just need to stay home with her sick husband since she and the 2 year old have already been exposed? Which is a greater risk...exposing us potentially to it...or staying home where the sick husband is?

I understand

I don't think there'd be any problem with she and her son staying with you and your husband

It would be very unlikely that either of them are going to get the flu from what you've told me

Please let me know if you need any more information

I think maybe I am not making sense. I am not concerned that they will get the flu from being at our house. Her husband has the flu presently and they live with him. I am worried that her coming to stay at my house she will possibly be BRINGING the flu with her. And my husband's body is just now getting over it from when he had it.
She is just trying to get away from her husband because she is afraid that she or the 2 year old will end up getting it. My concern is that they have pretty much been exposed to it from him already and they could bring it to our house.

No I'm saying that I don't think having been exposed to her husband they actually have contracted the flu

you think it would be best for them to leave and stay with us?

Yes I do

ok. Thank you.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you