Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Today I met with my addiction doctor. He says the good thing…

Today I met with my...
Today I met with my addiction doctor. He says the good thing is that I'm now "off" all other medications but Mirtazapine, and that I've had reasonably good sleep for 10 nights in a row. He recommends that I continue with my efforts to taper Miratzapine, and has prescribed me 30 more pills of 7.5 mg Mirtazapine. He proposes that I take 7.5 mg for the next 3 nights, and then take 3.75 mg thereafter "until I'm over it and can sleep reliably without it". He talks as if this should continue for at least one week, or even two, and wants to see me again after two weeks.I asked him what happens if from time to time, I take a larger dose for a "bad night" He said not to worry, just keep tapering down the best I can. I've taken approximately 90 mg of Mirtazapine so far over 10 nights. He says this is not enough to cause any withdrawal symptoms once I decide to pull out, "except maybe one bad night, and then you'll be okay the next". He really does not seem to think it will be a problem if I continue with the taper even past 2 weeks.My question to you, "Is this drug, Mirtazapine, safe?" All of this started when I was prescribed 15 mg Temazepam, and after 2 weeks' use, I found it very difficult to quit. Dr Karimi keeps telling me that Mirtazapine is a lot less addictive or to cause withdrawal symptoms after short term use, but he isn't clear what is "short term use". Where do I stand on the use of this drug, Mirtazapine, which I am now taking in approximately 7.5 mg dosages? I'm asking for an 2nd opinion about the use of this drug, and the risks involved.
1/16/2018

Yes it's safe and it really doesn't cause dependence or addiction

I'd say with that taper you can stop it completely in one week and the idea of any taper is you don't increase the dosage even for one night

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, last night taking one 7.5 mg dose as recommended by my addiction doctor wasn't very helpful. So, if the Mirtazapine isn't helping me much to sleep any more, why don't I just quit now? If after only 11 nights of taking Mirtapazine there isn't supposed to be any withdrawal symptoms, what is the point if taking any more of it?

There really is no point to take it anymore and there aren't going to be any withdrawal symptoms from that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called my addiction doc about that. He agrees that there is no point, and says I won't have any withdrawal symptoms. Okay. I'm getting real tired of all this anyway, so I'm quitting for good tonight. The way I see this, I can't learn how to sleep like I used to if I'm not feeling like how I used to---and the drug (all of them) interferes with that.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor