Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am a very healthy and active 48 Year old female and didn’t…

Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a very healthy and active 48 Year old female and didn’t realize that something triggered my blood pressure to be very elevated (6 months ago at my annual gynecology visit all of my stats and blood work were great (other than for a higher blood glucose level). I went to the doctor for a horrible viral sinus issue only to find out that my blood pressure was 160 over 110). Not sure if this has been going on for 1 month or 6 momths as 6 months ago everything seemed perfect. I would never have known my blood pressure was high as I have felt perfectly healthy (and run and work out 5 to 6 days a week every week). So this came as a total shock to me and has rattled me a bit since there were no signs as again I have felt perfectly healthy). I am a small, petite person (5’2” and weigh 100 lbs). My ultimate question for you is his: I am still having a horrible viral sinus thing going on and am wondering if I can take acetaminophen or ibuprofen with the Lisinopril that my doctor just prescribed 3 days ago). So I have been on 10mg of lisinopril daily for the last 3 days. Unfortunately I am still battling this viral sinus issue and am having horrible sinus headaches (and congestion). Some relief for the sinus pressure and headache is needed). Thank you in advance for the advice. Also my doctor anticipates me taking the Lisinopril for only 6 to 8 weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

The headache is coming and going as the pressure in my sinuses (behind my right eye and cheek ) sits in. There is no real nausea......just a lot of pressure in the right eye and cheek area.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of . I do eat a lot of salt (so this has been a wake up call to significantly dial the sodium intake back).

1/15/2018
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor

Hi

Welcome to just answer

A congested sinus headache is usually not easy to bear. But unfortunately, ibuprofen can sometimes lower the efficacy of lisinopril and your blood pressure might rise. You can take acetaminophen, that is a safe drug. Also, taking steam inhalation might help in reducing the sinus congestion

Hope this information is helpful, wishing you a speedy recovery

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much; this is helpful.

I am glad to be of help

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor