Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I slippedand fell hard on my back I felt aan electric shock…

I slippedand fell hard...

I slippedand fell hard on my back I felt aan electric shock up and down my sspine now I hve numbness in my feet and problems keeping balance what did I do

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Just pain and tingling numbness vertigo

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Its constant but reducing the numbness stays

1/15/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You need following;

1) X-rays and MRI of back; there may be vertebral fracture and/or pinched nerves in back.

2) X-rays of pelvis and hips; there may be hairline fracture.

Fall also causes soft tissue injures (muscle and ligament rupture), which can be identified by MRI.

Meanwhile following would help;

1) Cold compresses

2) Motrin / Ibuprofen.

3) Rest

4) Local analgesic cream

5) Back brace.

6) Avoid those activities which cause pain.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
I had the MRI and all that stuff you said there wasn't a fracture but they're setting me up for physical therapy and they says that have a weakness in my right leg and ERG or something like that tingling still hasn't gone away and I'm still having trouble with my balance

Thanks for the update.

The weakness and tingling are likely due to pinched nerve. A nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study tells about the nerves and electromyography (EMG) gives information about the muscles and their nerves (termed sensory and motor nerves).

You would need physical therapy which will help in resolving the balance issue.

It is privilege assisting you.

I'm studying for physical therapy and neurological exam there was no hairline fracture they did the MRI and everything what do you think happened is the disc was pushed in and it pinched a nerve and because I didn't get medical treatment for seven days he said the swelling might have exacerbated the problem is that sound plausible to you

Yes this is a possibility and seems to be the correct explanation.

Have you heard of this type of injury permanant

Permanent symptoms are extremely rare.

you think the numbness will disappear after a period of how long?

Usually it takes 2-4 weeks.

It's already been two months

More than 70% people will get symptoms resolved in 2-4 weeks. This is the usual time.

Rest of the people will gradually get better. Less than 5% people will require surgery (physical therapy though has to be meticulous). Only in less than 5% cases, some sort of disability is residual.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor