Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a viral infection (flu, cold like symptoms) which

lasted for about 6 days...
I had a viral infection (flu, cold like symptoms) which lasted for about 6 days. After I got better, I almost immediately noticed that I had a swelling in the lymph node in front of the right ear, between the cheek and the ear. Now after every time I wake up I have soreness there and seem to be sleeping with my mouth open. It's very concerning. Is this a sign of a serious illness? Is this a complication from the virus I had?
1/14/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

No not really . Lymph nodes can get swollen and sore during / after a viral illness. These usually resolve / settle in 2-4 weeks without any further treatment. You may take tylenol for soreness though.

Only if the lumps continue to persist after 4weeks ,is that when you need to see a physician.

I hope you feel better soon.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Pease reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
OK thank you.

You are welcome.

Best regards.

Dr Saleem.